04 Jul Executive Functioning Coach for College Students
EXECUTIVE FUNCTIONING COACH FOR COLLEGE STUDENTS
College is an exciting time where students can experience newfound freedom and independence. It can be challenging for many parents to balance support and encouragement for their young adults.
You might wonder if your child can stay on track with assignments, handle a hefty workload, or maintain excellent grades without burning out. That’s where Themba Tutors comes in – we empower college students to succeed academically and socially. Our positive habits and organizational skills development approach encourage students to thrive in their studies and beyond.
Challenges in Executive Functioning Faced by College Students
- Managing class materials, keeping track of syllabi and assignment deadlines, and tackling writing assignments or long-term projects can be daunting.
Time Management Challenges
- Students who procrastinate may become overwhelmed and overburdened. Learning the art of maintaining a work schedule and prioritizing tasks is crucial.
- Many students need help with effective study habits, lack of persistence, incomplete assignments, poor test results, late project submissions, note-taking skills, and maintaining attendance.
List of EF Skills That College Students Have Trouble With
Organization And Planning
- Developing greater autonomy, organization, and planning prowess is crucial for students to succeed in college. In these sessions, you’ll learn how these skills apply to all academic life, from keeping a tidy workspace to managing your schedule and course materials. Tutors will guide you through tried-and-true EF strategies like backward planning, prioritization, and developing sustainable routines and habits to help you reach your goals.
- Effective time management, including accurate estimation of duration and passage, is critical to scheduling and work management. Sessions will enhance foundational executive function skills with insight-oriented activities and tools like clocks and calendars. Strategies like backward planning will also be taught to reinforce skills in sessions and between.
Task Initiation And Focus
- Tutors will help students overcome procrastination and avoidance while enhancing efficiency by identifying barriers and developing skills. Both students and tutors will collaborate to create productive work environments, including optimal physical spaces and devices, by fostering routines and mindfully scheduling breaks to tackle internal and external distractions.
- Cognitive flexibility is a vital trait that enables individuals to switch tasks proficiently and assimilate novel information by adjusting initial thoughts and habits. The tutoring sessions not only hone targeted skills such as critical thinking and flexible reflection concerning academic assignments but will also heighten students’ awareness and insights into the challenges related to switching sets.
Being a college student can be tough and especially challenging for those with executive function issues. For these individuals, staying organized, managing time, and keeping track of assignments can be significant obstacles. Thankfully, many ways exist to help college students with executive function issues.
One of the most important steps is to work with them to create a structured plan for their study and activities. This might involve using daily planners, making to-do lists, and breaking assignments into smaller, manageable tasks. It’s also crucial to encourage them to seek help when needed, whether meeting with a tutor or seeking guidance from a trusted professor. By providing the right tools and support, college students with executive function issues can thrive in their academic pursuits and beyond.
How Can Themba Tutors Executive Functioning Coach For College Students Help?
Our professional executive functioning tutors and coaches take the time to understand each student, develop a customized plan to address their unique needs and provide one-on-one support until their goals are achieved.
Students gain a variety of essential skills, including those listed below.
- Time management and organizational systems
- Metacognition, working memory, and mental flexibility
- Study strategies, problem-solving, and note-taking
- Goal-directed, persistent, sustained attention and task initiation
- Response inhibition and emotional control
Executive Functioning Coaching
- It’s not uncommon for students who understand their course material to struggle with achieving success. Excelling in education requires mastering abilities beyond the subject, such as organization, time management, and study skills. Our approach focuses on helping students develop these fundamentals, which is key to unlocking their potential in school and beyond – whether in entrepreneurship or their personal lives.
- As students move from one grade to another, switch schools, or become involved with new extracurricular activities, they often experience obstacles as their attention and time become divided. We will equip these students with essential skills to tackle challenges more effectively, such as time management, mental flexibility, emotional control, and organization.
Transitioning to College
- Even high school achievers may need assistance with the demanding college curriculum and self-directed education. Our programs offer customized action plans to help students overcome common challenges, from juggling a heavy course load to independent living and time management.
- At times, learners may require assistance from a reliable source to juggle weekly assignments, extracurricular activities, and more extensive projects efficiently. An academic coach or tutor can offer that organizational push by helping set aside focused time to work on subject-specific materials, delivering value to your child’s educational journey.
Latest posts by Craig Selinger (see all)
- Your Guide To Success With A Professional MCAT Tutor - September 22, 2023
- Williamsburg, Brooklyn Middle School Math Tutors! - September 22, 2023
- Greenpoint, Brooklyn Middle School Math Tutor - September 21, 2023