06 Mar Brooklyn Summer Academic Lab for Rising 3rd-5th Graders!
Application Deadline: April 15, 2019
Limited seating per session
Are you looking for a Brooklyn half-day special summer learning experience for your child, a rising 3rd-5th grader, that combines both learning and fun?
Join Themba Tutors LLC for a literacy experience that will foster children’s eagerness to learn as well as prepare them for the upcoming school year!
Students will engage in theme-based multisensory reading and writing hands-on activities.
Each theme will use multimedia with new topics offered every two weeks.
Summer themes include
- Smash Movies
- Game Show Champions
- Time Machine Travelers
- Video Games
- Sports Fanatics!
Daily hands-on activities will address improving reading comprehension, writing, executive functioning, reading fluency and phonics skills. Days will be enhanced with movement, crafts, visual arts, and mindfulness activities, and math games. Teachers will engineer lessons geared toward student interests and abilities.
- investigate and create space rockets;
- write and host original game shows;
- explore and examine video games;
- research and write stories about sports figures and events;
- watch and discuss movie clips and compare and contrast characters and scenes;
- travel back in time and create their ideal futuristic world;
- and much more!
Each classroom will have:
- 2 experienced and certified NYC Department of Education teachers (at least one licensed in Special Education).
- a third professional as a teacher assistant.
- a maximum of 10 students per classroom
- rising students entering 3rd to 5th grades and students will be broken up into groups based on their developmental literacy levels.
Your child will have an almost 3:1 ratio teacher/student ratio
Three sessions will be offered from July 8th thru August 16th, 2019.
Each session is two weeks, five days a week, Monday thru Friday, 9 am-12:30 pm.
Sign up for 1, 2 or 3 sessions:
Session A: July 8 – July 19
Session B: July 22 – August 2
Session C: August 5 – August 16
The Sterling School, 134 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11201 (a few blocks away from Pier 6).
Students will need to be dropped off and picked up at The Sterling School
* Transportation will not be provided.
Students will be required to bring lunches and encouraged to come with snacks.
$1400 per 2-week session plus a $50 application fee
Step 1 – Application:
- Please complete an application (this link will be available soon!)
- There is a $50 non-refundable application fee. Payment is made using check, credit card and e-payments. You are responsible for any charges for using credit cards or e-payments. Please see application for more instructions on making fee payments
- Note: The $50 fee is not part of the cost of the summer lab.
- Students will not be accepted into the summer lab without an application and approval by Themba Tutors staff.
- If you need the link to the application, please email us a request to email@example.com
- We will review your application within 5 business days.
- Once you are approved, we will email you the registration and payment links.
- The deadline for submitting applications is April 15th
- WHY DO WE REVIEW APPLICATIONS? Please see the note below.
Step 2: Registration and Payment:
- Once your application has been approved, please complete the registration information that was sent to you via email.
- Payment Deadline: Once you are accepted into this program, you have SEVEN business days to pay in full to reserve a spot. After this five day window, we reserve the right to offer this spot to another child.
- Payment can be made via check, credit card or e-payments. Refer to the registration information for payment instructions. All processing fees for using credit cards or other e-payments are your responsibility.
- Applications close on April 15th, and the last chance to pay in full is April 20th.
Payment Refund Policies:
- Once payment is paid in full, 90% of the payment is refundable within ten business days of the date you paid Themba Tutors LLC.
- After ten business days of paying Themba Tutors, 50% of the payment is refundable through June 1st.
- Between June 2nd-June 30th, 25% of the payment is refundable.
- On or after July 1st, none of the payment is refundable.
- You will receive a 100% refund (except registration fee) if we are unable to run this summer lab for whatever reason.
Who is suited to attend the Brooklyn Summer Lab? Why do we review applications?
Brooklyn Summer Lab is for students with and without special needs/IEPs. We take our application process very seriously to make sure we only accept kids and parents who we believe will be suited for this summer learning experience. Children are welcome from public, special ed, and private schools in NYC. All students’ literacy skills must be no more than one year behind their chronological age.
We are not equipped to help children with severe learning challenges and to teach students who are disruptive or present safety concerns. We are not properly staffed for kids with significant medical conditions, such as frequent seizures, or other physical health conditions that require frequent medical attention.
For more information: Contact Summer19@ThembaTutors.com & (917) 382-8641